Kanna's Clothes Problem and a Very Logical Explanation

I was showing my non-anime obsessed friend this show a few weeks back. Upon reaching the middle of episode 3 my friend snorted. Seeing that corresponded with Kanna's first appearance and earnestly wanting her to like the show, I decided to speak out against the pretty boy. "Yeah, I know, that eye patch is very cliche and silly," I said, knowing my friend generally couldn't stand fan service (and we all know Kanna IS a form of fan service).

She laughed and shook her head, "No, I was not snorting at his eyepatch, I was snorting at his shirt," she paused and then quickly added, "That is definately a lady's shirt."

I took another glanced at Kanna and my mouth opened to pronunce a silent "Oh." From that moment on, I could never see Kanna quite the same ever again.

Let's have a look why, shall we?

Here's a painting by James Jacques Tissot in 1868:



Please take not of what the people were wearing.

Obviously, Kanna is not gentleman and I should not expect him to be that well dressed, but I imagine, even a less well-off person would be able to afford a shirt without frills. In fact, it would be more economical to buy shirts without frills because by then that sort of shirt are considered antiques since the last time frills were in fashion for men was 1750-1770 (aka during French revolution time).

It would be unfair of me to say Kanna is wearing lady's clothes if everyone else's clothes are out of fashion and awfully period inaccurate too. But that is not the case. Every other westerner in the show wore normal suits fahionable during that time period.

Glover did:



And so did random British dude from episode 1:



Notice the lack of frills on the shirts those two were wearing. And then take a look at Kanna:



Notice the amount of frills in his shirt.

But even as I say that, I don't mean that shirt is in style for women in 1860 either. It's not. But at least you see women and frills together.

But having said that, I did manage to come up with a possibly perfectly logical explaination behind Kanna and frills ---

It is, after all, very likely that Kanna is actually Robespierre in disguise.




Home
About Us
Old Updates


Characters
Culture
History
Objects
Lyrics
Miscellaneous
FAQ


Fangirl Rants
Episode Reflections
Episode Screenshots
Fanarts


Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto is (c) 2006 Sunrise/Bandai Visual.

This is an unofficial and purely personal non-profit fanpage, and is not affiliated with the creators of this show in any way.

Link Freely


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker